Friday 1 July 2011

'Who is God?'

As a general rule, I don't work with children. My calling to avoid those under the age of eleven was further confirmed a couple of years ago as I helped lead the upfront team at New Wine for 'Pebbles', the group for 3-4 year olds. I significantly lack the patience, extraordinary enthusiasm and dedication that it takes to engage a large group of small children for any prolonged period of time. I have considerable admiration for those who excel in this gifting.

For this reason, I have generally strayed away from children's work, focusing instead on attempting to keep rowdy teenagers on the straight and narrow. I enjoy the challenging interactions of hormonal individuals who frequently provide poignant responses to my questions, often controversial - if not inappropriate. I find it overwhelming when I see God transform their lives, typically restoring them from brokenness. It restores my faith in God to see those that I once witnessed at breaking point now leading churches and running missions; leading the way for their peers.

Ironically, God spoke to me the other day through a conversation I was having with a small child. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate children. There are some children that I find adorable and that I love looking after. There are some children who will remain important individuals in my life - my two year old godson for example. The other day I was looking after one of these children and found myself completely stumped theologically when she suddenly asked this question (during my incredibly dramatic rendition of Noah and the Flood before bedtime):

'Who is God?'

Having been at Bible College for a year, and studied with the great Professor that is Andy Croft for a further year; I probably should have had a better answer prepared. Instead my response went something along the lines of; 'He's a big man and He made us and loves us'. My theology lecturers would have been unhappy about the indecisiveness of this statement, and the little girl I was looking after was no different. 'Then why did he send a flood to kill everybody?'

I've recently started reading 'What's so Amazing about Grace?' by Phillip Yancey - and I can't believe I left it so long. Alternatively maybe I'm reading it at completely the right time in my life; God's sacrificial, benevolent nature is one I'm in need of remembering. It's reminded me of who god is.

'Grace means there's nothing we can do to make God love us more . . . Grace means there's nothing we can do to make God love us less . . . Grace means that God already loves us as much as an infinite God can possibly love.'

The story of Noah is one of my favourites in the Old Testament. So much so, that I am determined to call my first son 'Noah' (despite any argument to the contrary that my currently non-existent future husband may attempt!). To many, the story of Noah demonstrates God's anger as He chooses to destroy the very people that he spent so much time creating. To me, the story of Noah is the very opposite. It exemplifies God's grace. When God could have just started from scratch, he chose instead to begin again with Noah and his family . For 'Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God'. (Genesis 6: 9). For Jesus was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked faithfully with God.

I'm just sorry that it took the inquisition of a four year old for me to acknowledge this. Maybe there's a career for me in children's work after all...

No comments: