Sunday 19 October 2008

Making Small Talk

I have unanimously decided that I hate 'small talk'. Yet in hindsight I have spent a vast majority of my life partaking in it.

At some friends' birthday drinks last night, the concept of 'making small talk' was raised between some girlfriends and I. We recalled the awkward situations when we have to make time talking to the uninteresting, the boring and the downright weird at various functions. And it got me thinking: Why do we make small talk? Is it an annoying British trait of politeness, or habit?

It strikes me that when any human being is placed in a situation of unease, we all resort to the lifeline of making mind numbing conversation with the nearest person we find. Alternatively we have developed the art of feigning interest in conversation when we are approached by someone unavoidably. Christians are particular masters at this.

My faith has been challenged by this idea recently. Small talk causes a loss of integrity, and as a Christian I am particularly keen for God to be revealed in my life; and that does not exclude awkward conversations. I am struggling also to see why small talk is a necessity!

We are very good at asking 'How are you?' without listening or caring to the answer, yet also quick to moan when we ourselves are NOT good. And as my mother so accurately corrected me, the uninteresting, boring and downright weird are no less than me in the Kingdom of Heaven; 'We are equal in his sight'. Christianity is built on years of relationship and fellowship; most importantly that of our relationship with Jesus Christ. And i have no doubt that in an awkward situation with Jesus (if there ever were one) He would not make small talk.

Not only should I be trying to look for the 'Jesus in everyone', but I should be looking for the Jesus in myself. If I am truly a follower of Him, then I have one huge journey ahead of me! As someone i know so inspirationally told me the other day: 'it is one thing to be a Christian; another to walk with Jesus.' Working for the church also means that I meet and communicate with all sorts of people, and I guess it is a project of my youth that i am still learning how to cope with them. If there was one flaw in this year's plan; and the amazing job that i am doing; it would be that. And i am not frightened to admit that i feel totally out of my depth.

So next time you find me asking how you are, i WILL be listening to the reply.